Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Peace Sheep Update 11, and the Baby Blanket is Ready!

Well, it's officially hotter than hell here, and it's still only May. It's 36 degrees C today, which is 97 degrees F for all my non-metric friends. NINETY SEVEN. That really shouldn't be legal this early in the year. It's promising to be a long, hot, disgusting summer.

I've been trying to keep busy at home as much as possible, so I don't have to leave the apartment. It helps that the baby is still trying to figure out if he hates cars or loves them - every day is a roll of the dice, and I get either happy, giggling baby or wailing, miserable baby. I have a feeling he starts crying in the car because he's slightly traumatized: we had to take him to the doctor on Saturday for another round of vaccines. Does he think I'm taking him back to get stuck with a needle again?

The doctor also told me I need to start controlled crying at night. Joy oh joy! It's for my own good, I know, because lately the baby's been waking up every single hour to eat, which means I'm basically a zombie 24/7. But it just breaks my heart to let him cry, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Anyway, part of keeping busy has been knitting away at my sister's baby blanket. It's done!


I'm so, so, so happy with it! I hope she likes it. She's not due until August, so I have to wait in suspense until I see her.


This definitely has my baby's approval. Every time I took it out to work on it his eyes would light up. Bright colors! And then he would try to put it in his mouth.


The technical stuff: This was knitted in stockinette stitch with Loops & Threads Charisma Baby, two balls of Coral (five stripes) and one and a half of Cotton Candy (four stripes). It measures 30" by 30".

I've also gotten a little more done on the Little Sheep Virtues SAL:


This is Peace at 1100 stitches. A bit more on the border, and I've started the word "Peace" along the top.


Lots of love,

13 comments:

Rita E in AZ said...

Your baby blanket is beautiful as is your cross stitching.
Stay cool

Julie said...

Your blankets going to be a wonderful gift.

Vickie said...

I do NOT envy your heat!! Or your controlled crying chore. :( Oh, I am so sorry Sarah. That is NOT going to be fun at all.
The blanket is wonderful.

KimM said...

Oh, Sarah... And know how it breaks your heart to hear the wee ones cry.....I remember.....but stay strong....love your stitching and knitting. Well done!
xxx

Emma Louise said...

I love the blanket! I hope he settles quickly so you don't have to endure the controlled crying for too long.

Mii Stitch said...

Great stitching & knitting Sarah.
Please do send us some of that heat over in the UK :)
We're in May and the central heating has to be on, it's too cold still.

Kerryp77 said...

Lovely colours in the blanket. It looks very snugly.

Heather said...

Great finish! Good luck with the crying.

Kaisievic said...

Your baby blanket is very sweet and Peace is looking great. Good luck with the controlled crying, we used that with my eldest son, but he was a bit older (when we shifted him from a cot to a bed he became impossible to get to bed or to stay in bed) and it worked so well. We went whole hog and left him to cry over one night and it went like a charm - the next night he went to bed like a lamb - but as I said he was older (about 18 months). hugs, Kaye xxxx

Kaisievic said...

P.S. Mind you it was awful letting him cry like that!

Justine said...

Your blanket turned out perfectly! Gorgeous colours. Your sheep is very pretty too.
Good luck with the sleep thing. It does get better!

Penny said...

I can relate to the issues with traveling in the car. My daughter always loved riding in the car. As a matter of fact, it would always calm her if she was having a cranky day. My son, on the other hand, screamed his poor little head off every time we got in the car - definitely made for some stressful trips. Love the baby blanket - pretty! And nice progress on your SAL!

Brigitte said...

Nice update on your sheep stitching. And yeah, the blanket is finished! A really great piece and your sister will be so happy when she gets it.