Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trying Something New. And Not Liking It

So! I splurged a couple of months ago and bought the supplies for needle punching. I've been admiring the finishes on various blogs for a while, and I thought it was high time that I tried it for myself. And here it is:


This is "Grey House" from Notforgotten Farm. I used some natural brown weaver's cloth and the recommended DMC colors. The pattern comes with instruction to finish it off into a needlebook, which I might do one day when I'm feeling brave.


I'm not super happy at how it turned out. I followed all the instructions very carefully, but it still looks different than the cover picture. The lines aren't as defined, and the color list was a little off too. The stem of the plant was supposed to be DMC 712, which is a beige color. I thought that was weird, so I just used brown. The process wasn't that fun either - I thought I would enjoy the actual needle punching part, but it got a little boring.

This is the "wrong" side of the project, the side facing you when you're working on it

What's really funny is that I had to buy a lip-lock hoop to work on this project, which I've never had to do. I've always cross stitched in-hand. Anyways, I'm glad I tried it and got it out of my system, but I don't think I'll do it again.

Big hugs,

19 comments:

KimM said...

I think it's cute, Sarah. - punch needle is different -
I did two pieces, but probably won't do it again, either.
xxx

Vickie said...

Oh dear! I have had the supplies to begin a project for needlepunching for two years now, and have yet to try it. I do like your results Sarah. :)

Mrs Love2Stitch said...

It's cute, seems a lot of making it

Irene said...

ma è carino, non ti piace? secondo me è venuto bene

Wainwright and Wright.Co said...

I think it looks cute too, and I really can't see any faults in it, but thanks for sharing your experience, I probably won't rush to try it.
Caz xx

Linda said...

It turned out cute Sarah. It's something that I will never try.

Linda

Wendy said...

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as itlooks lovely! I found needlepunch quite fun and always mean to do some more

Ariadne said...

Never tried it, never really wanted to. But it does look nice!AriadnefromGreece!

Lija Broka said...

It looks good, especially how neat you made it! Maybe next time (if you brave it) you can try mixing your own colours. Or even your own design. I bet this method would look good on some abstract floral pattern.

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

I think it looks great! They don't look 100% perfect until the finishing is done. Its not something that I prefer, but I like the look (like mini hooked rugs) so I do one from time to time. I'd not give up! If you try again, look up the Youtube video by Brenda Gervais on needle punching. (and I'd try one of her needle punch projects as they are just tiny works of art) before you totally throw it out the window ;)

Mii Stitch said...

Don't know anything about this but I think it looks good. Well done!

Brigitte said...

I have never tried this craft but have always admired the results on various blogs. I think I will not start another craft as I hardly find the time tio do the ones I have been into for quite a while.
I love your little motive, it looks lovely.

Justine said...

I think it looks really pretty! However, I wouldn't try as I don't need another hobby - I love cross stitch too much!

Lulu said...

It turned out beautifully I think. Cheers to you for trying a new technique!

Anne said...

I think it looks really good but I can understand that you didn't like the process. I love the look of needle punched things but wouldn't really want to try it out but good for you for doing something new!!

Mrs Milkybar Kid said...

I always think it's good to try something new - even if it is only to discover it's not for you, otherwise you'd still be wondering about it! That said I think it looks lovely, but if you didn't enjoy the process then sometimes the end result doesn't matter!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I have never tried this technique and had never even heard of it until late last year when a couple of bloggers started writing about it.
It looks rather dated to me but then I remember making a latch hook rug in the 1980s!!

thegreytail said...

I knew about this technique but never tried it myself, and AAAH!! my jaw dropped when I read that you actually work facing the backside, not the front?! oh dear, that must get pretty boring!
but not he other hand you turn it around and you see such an adorable, fluffy, woolly little house! I really like it!
I would wait a few months and then try it again, like Vonna said, if Brenda Gervais makes punch needle kits/projects I would give those ones a try, actually I might do so myself next year! :D

Kaisievic said...

It looks great to me but if you didn't really enjoy doing it, then move on, I say!