Sunday, March 1, 2015

What I've Been Stitching (3rd edition)...

Hi everyone! Hope you're all staying warm/cool, wherever you are in the world. I'm enjoying the weather here in Dubai - the sandstorm is long gone and it's been lovely and windy. I'm praying for a little bit of rain, but other than that, no complaints.

So this is a fast update, considering I posted on my progress on this piece barely two weeks ago, but when inspiration hits you go with it, right? This is a sampler I've been designing as I go, and if you'd like to see my last post on it you can go here. And this is what it looks like now:


I've added the tree at the top and two little people on either side of it, who are of course Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. I'm going to be completely honest, the tree is not my own design. It started out life as a Little House Needleworks tree. I was squeezing my brain trying to design a tree, and then I remembered this one and thought, why mess with perfection, right? It had so many elements that are echoed throughout the piece, so it fits really well, although I did have to nip and tuck to fit it into this space. I also added E + D into the bark of the tree, as though they've carved their initials. Couldn't resist!


The people are my design, and they drove me nuts. I never really considered adding people at all, but it was like an itch in the corner of my mind. Here's a close-up of Mr. Darcy, standing with his hands behind his back. He's complete with boots, trousers, shirt, jacket, and top hat. I even added French knot buttons, because I'm a crazy person.


And here's a close-up of Elizabeth. She's holding a basket full of French knot flowers, showing off the backstitch detailing on her dress and the backstitch blue ribbon in her hair.


There's still that big empty space to fill on top of the sheep. No idea what to do yet. Just going to have to wait for inspiration to hit again!

Until next time,

15 comments:

Brigitte said...

Absolutely great, your design. I love the theme and all the little details that you added, like the E*D that you carved in the bark of the tree. Nice idea.

Justine said...

I LOVE it! How clever you are! The backstitch on Elizabeth's dress and Darcy's buttons - so cute!

Vickie said...

Such awesome touches you have added.

KimM said...

Oh my goodness - the design is so pretty. I love it, Sarah!!

Ariadne said...

I thought you were going to put the tree over the sheep.AriadnefromGreece!

Kerryp77 said...

The design is lovely Sarah, you're making such a good job with it.

cucki said...

Wow it's so beautiful my dear xx

Emma Louise Brown said...

Such a sweet addition!

Heather said...

Awesome work

Linda said...

Beautiful Sarah. I would never attempt to design my own piece.

Linda

Miamina said...

Wonderful! You are so talented :) Well done on a lovely design and beautiful stitching!

Mii Stitch said...

Great progress! Lovely additions :)

Mrs Milkybar Kid said...

I love your design, one of my favourite stitching themes :), beautiful work!

Steph said...

I LOVE this! xox

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your sampler is looking great. I really like your little people, so much detail in a very small space!