Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What I've Been Stitching...

All right, so it was one of my New Year's resolutions to finally, after 13 years of cross-stitching, to stitch my own design. I don't know what I was thinking. This is way harder than I thought it would be. You'd think after stitching gazillions of designs that I would have a better idea of what I'd want to stitch.

After much scribbling on paper, and several failed attempts at understanding cross-stitch software, I have something to show for myself! Be kind, please...


First I started with a quote. Every good sampler needs a quote, right? This one is from a much-beloved classic, Pride and Prejudice. Yes, I'm a shameless Jane Austen fan, what can I say. And this quote from Mr. Darcy is one of my favorite moments, so it was a no-brainer, really. I used a free alphabet I find on the Victoria Sampler website here, and I stitched it with DMC 838.

Then I thought I'd better decide how big I wanted this piece to be. I wanted it to be kind of a standard size, and with the quote taking care of the width, I marked off the top of the piece with a pretty little border:


It's super simple, but I'm over the moon about it. I just love how the colors work together. I used DMC 500, 502, 351, and 352. The fabric is a random piece of 32-count pale blue linen that I've had in my stash for a while. Here are the two elements together at this point:


I'm just going to add elements slowly to this piece. I don't have a clear picture of what I want it to look like, but I have a color palette in mind, and I want to incorporate some of my favorite motifs. I'm not too worried about making mistakes, either. I know I've already made one in the quote and one in the border (those teeny tiny holes are nearly impossible to keep track of!). I'm not too fussed, though. I'm thinking of this as an experiment, and it really doesn't have to be perfect.

Until next time!

19 comments:

Lana Passey said...

Great start! I love such experiments! Enjoy your project!

Emma Louise Brown said...

Looking forward to seeing the end piece :)

Mii Stitch said...

A unique pattern designed just by you.... fantastic!!!!

Wendy said...

Well done for getting started! I look forward to updates, the border is so pretty

Kerryp77 said...

It looks fab, the border is so pretty and I think you've done well to stick with a few colours as its so easy to run riot when doing your own design.

Caitlin D said...

LOVE it! The quote is great, but I just love that you're starting your own design.

Steph said...

Oh I LOVE it! Clever bean. XOX

Ariadne said...

It looks lovely!AriadnefromGreece!

Linda said...

Awesome job Sarah. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Linda

Emma/Itzy said...

Its looking great Sarah, keep going with it, it will be fantastic as you keep adding to it :)

Jan Gartlan said...

I love this! Well done

Clare - Aimetu said...

What a lovely idea - good luck with your project

Heather said...

Cute! Good luck with your other elements!

cucki said...

wow such a great idea and a pattern from you..
so much fun.
happy stitching x

Miamina said...

Great idea! It's a lovely design and something that will be very personal to you.

KimM said...

Fabulous design. Love it!
hugs
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

How exciting! I've designed a few samplers myself but I usually use graph paper to sketch them out first.

Mouse said...

ooooooooooooooooo pretty and love Jane Austin too ... can't wait to see more progress on this one :) love mouse xxxxx

Kaisievic said...

Sarah, this is looking fantastic already! You are a clever girl, you.