Monday, October 27, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

So today is my turn for the Around the World Blog Hop! Anne over at Doll's Musings passed the baton over to me (thanks, Anne!), and I'm going to be passing it along to a couple more people at the end of this post.

Here goes:

1. What are you working on?
I'm working on a few things right now. First is my Sunday SAL with Lija, Anne, and Kaye. We've been stitching Little House Needleworks' Little Sheep Virtues 100 stitches at a time. So far I'm still working on my first one, Hope. If you'd like to follow my progress, click here. This is the latest photo I posted:


I'm also stitching Prairie Schooler's Fables & Tales. I've completed The Three Bears already and I'm about halfway through The Tortoise and the Hare. If you'd like to follow my progress, click here. And here's a photo from my last update:


And, as always, I'm busy putting things together for a couple of exchanges. I can't show you those yet (sorry!) but pretty consistently throughout the year I've got packages lined up in various stages of readiness. I adore exchanges!

2. Why do I create what I do?
I learned how to cross-stitch in high school. Someone had given my mother, who is not a crafty person at all, some cross-stitch kits. When I asked if I could try one, she told me to go for it. After that I only stitched on and off, as I had moved to Dubai for university and had my plate full with studying.

When I got married a little over three years ago, I moved all my stuff out of my parents' house and into our apartment, including my cross-stitch supplies. And though I was busy with work in the mornings, I found I had a lot of time on my hands at home. And I'm one of those people with a lot of nervous energy. I can't sit and watch a TV show and not have something to do with my hands, so I naturally pulled out my old trusty needles and thread and started creating again.

I love cross-stitching. I love having something to do, yes, but I also enjoy the process of slowly creating something beautiful, something you can look at when you're done and say, I made that. And blogging about it adds an extra dimension: you have the actual process of cross-stitching, all the little moments of irritation and pride, and then you have the opportunity to share your process with an online community of cross-stitchers, people who will encourage you and applaud you and share with you. Honestly, what more could you want from a hobby?

3. How does my creating process work?
I choose a chart that appeals to me - sometimes I have a specific person in mind when I pick it out, sometimes I have a vision of what I want to do with it when I'm done stitching, and sometimes it just looks so cute/beautiful/challenging that I need to stitch it. Then I pick out the threads and fabric. These decisions are often influenced by how much I can afford to splurge, but I also make sure I'm comfortable with the compromises.

And then I'm off! I'd like to say I always stick to the chart, but that's not true. I tweak and adjust if I disagree with the designer, or if it just doesn't suit my needs. There've been a few cases where the biscornu chart I'm stitching only has the pattern for the top half, and so I have to come up with an idea for the bottom, usually a small variation of the top. And there have been other cases where a motif or aspect of a pattern bothers me or doesn't suit my tastes, so I'll replace it or adjust the whole pattern to cover it up. And then there are times when I don't do a single thing different!

Pass it on...
All right, now it's time for me to direct you to your next stops. I only managed to rustle up two people to participate: Ariadne (Ariadne from Greece) is a teacher too and participates in a lot of dramatic productions. She cross-stitches and also creates the loveliest things out of sea glass. Jan (Thread Garden) lives in Tasmania and also cross-stitches. She's working on a beautiful, massive Prairie Schooler design, among other things, and documents her progress on her blog and her YouTube channel. Both of these lovely ladies will be posting for the blog hop next Monday, November 3rd.

Thanks for sticking with me! As a reward, here are some pictures of Dubai:

Palm trees!
Burj al Arab
Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) made up of flowers at the Miracle Gardens
Lots of love,

9 comments:

cucki said...

beautiful post,..thank you for sharing dear x

KimM said...

What a lovely post, Sarah! It's nice to know a little more about you.
hugs
xxx

Heather Bybee said...

That Palm tree pic is just gorgeous great update!

Justine said...

Lovely and interesting to learn more about you. I agree with your comments about making things slowly by hand. I think society is too impatient nowadays and it is lovely to sit back and create something in a way that hasn't really changed.

Linda said...

Nice to learn more about you and your lovely stitching Sarah.

Linda

Bella said...

Hello Sarah

Lovely post and great stitching x

Jan Gartlan said...

A lovely post. The pictures in Dubai are amazing -that flower tower is so pretty. I love your current PS design. I am excited about doing my post. Thank you for tagging me. It's great to get to know you more by a post like this.
dandjgartlan@bigpond.com

Kaisievic said...

Great post, Sarah, I always love to read about other people's passion for cross stitch. I love your Dubai pics, too. Unfortunately for me I have only ever seen the inside of Dubai airport!

Anne said...

I loved reading about how your passion started for cross stitching! I too like to keep my hands busy when watching the tube. Love the photos of Dubai! Such an exotic place to live!! Hugs!