Friday, June 20, 2014

A Little Hand-Knitted Coziness

Since I'm waiting around for the floss I need to finish Fresh Berry, I picked up my knitting needles again. I've been wanting to make something more difficult than a scarf or a blanket, so I found a free pattern on Ravelry for some house slippers. Here's my first attempt!


The pattern is for size 41, so I made some for my husband first. I had some Red Heart Super Saver in Aran Fleck left over from a scarf I'd made him a couple of years ago, so I took out my 5mm knitting needles and whipped these up!


So I had a couple of problems with this pattern. It says it's for size 41, which is my husband's size, but it was way too big, so I had to shorten it by an inch. Then, to finish it off, you have to crochet around the edges and down the middle. I cannot crochet if my life depended on it, so I decided not to even attempt it. Instead, I made sure to braid the edges while I was knitting, and then I discreetly sewed it all together. I finished them off by weaving some navy blue yarn around the back and down the front, just to make them more interesting but still manly.


It's a super easy garter stitch pattern, though. I did learn a few new techniques, which I'm really happy about: decreasing, slip slip knit, the three needle bind-off. I love how they turned out! And, perhaps more importantly, so does my husband! I'll be making myself a pair next. If you'd like to try them for yourself, here's the free pattern.

Happy knitting!

12 comments:

KimM said...

How neat are these? Thank you for the link and the 'review' ;)
hugs
xxx

Steph said...

These are lovely! I can't wait to see yours. XOX

Linda said...

Great looking slippers Sarah.

Linda

cucki said...

Wow they so beautiful..
Well done dear x

cucki said...

Wow they so beautiful..
Well done dear x

cucki said...

Wow they so beautiful..
Well done dear x

Lumiruusu said...

These are so cute will warm the tiny feets :)

Milly said...

Hello!

I love these slippers - congrats on making them.
Your stitching is lovely too ( love the melon wedge!) and hope your new thread arrives soon!
Happy weekend.

Penny said...

Wow! You sure did a lovely job for your first attempt! :) Like your solution for the crochet part. I would love to try them, but first I would have to learn to knit. :)

Wendy said...

They do look cozy, well done!

Shirlee said...

Well done!

Kaisievic said...

They look cosy and warm.