Monday, January 27, 2014

Still Tired, and a New Start!

Hi everyone! I'm back from my short trip to Kuwait. Whew - it was such a busy weekend! I barely had any time to catch my breath when I got back, either, because I had to go back to work the next morning.

So, since my family is mixed (my mother's American, my father's Arab), we like to mix up the wedding traditions. We had a very typically American bridal shower, with games and presents and cake. And the next day we had what we call a "milcha," the signing of the marriage license. This is always a very big deal in any Arab household, since it means you're officially married, even though the wedding isn't for another couple of months. We did this same combination for my marriage too, and it's always so much fun to get both sides of our cultures involved!

I didn't get a whole lot of stitching done, since we spent most of the time running around getting the house prepared every day for the parties. I did take Bent Creek's Land of Liberty Zipper (given to me in a recent exchange with Shirlee), since it's a kit and I didn't have to put together the materials to take with me. I got a good start on it, I think:


The fabric provided is Wichelt Imports 18-count Natural linen, which feels like stitching through burlap (not necessarily a bad thing - it's got a great effect!), and the threads are DMC pearl cotton.

I'm really enjoying stitching this up. I've always been a big fan of Bent Creek's designs, though for some reason I've never had the opportunity to stitch one. One of my favorites is this Zipper:


This must be out of production or something, because I can't find it anywhere. If someone has it, even as a pattern in a used kit, let me know - I'd be willing to buy it or have an exchange for it!

Anyway, I think I've rambled on enough for today. There's a little less than a week left before my second-year blogoversary giveaway, so if you haven't signed up yet, go here!

Good to be back,

11 comments:

Shirlee said...

So glad you had a good time in Kuwait my friend! Also glad you are enjoying stitching Land of Liberty : ) Wish I could help you with the other kit you're looking for but I'm coming up empty : (

Mii Stitch said...

Nice to know you had a lovely time with your family. Great new start too! Sorry about the other design, I didn't even know it :)

Ariadne Skyrianidou said...

I am glad you enjoyed your stay! If you find that pattern I'd love to have it too!AriadnefromGreece!

Linda said...

Love your new start Sarah.

Linda

Kaisievic said...

Welcome home, Sarah. Love to hear about your traditions. Great new start but can you please explain to me why it is called a zipper?

Chris said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I read back and so how your one design had been badly treated, but great to read you got it sorted and the framing now looks
beautiful
Happy Stitching
Chris

Jan Gartlan said...

What a fab weekend you had. Your new start is great. I hope you find the pattern

Wendy said...

so will you go back to Kuwait soon for the wedding? Will that be a big affair? Sorry for being nosey, I know nothing at all about Kuwaiti culture and I'm nosey! The stitching looks good!

Lumiruusu said...

Hello sarah ! You made an amazing swap with Chiara both packages were so luxorious and full of lovely items :)

Greetings from Finland ,
Maija

Steph said...

Sounds like a beautiful time. Oh! I like Bent Creek, that is a sweet stitch. Lots of luck finding the chart, it looks amazing.
XOX

Miamina said...

I love the Bent Creek design and it sounds liek you had an amazing time at the bridal shower. It must be lovely being able to combine 2 wonderful cultures and pick the best of both!

I had a look around for the kit you are after and I've found 2 shops that have it. It's not cheap but apparently it's HUGE and comes in a kit. it was originally released in parts but you can now buy the whole thing.
http://cloudwww.thesilverneedle.com/bentcreekkits.php
http://store.stoneycreek.com/bent-creek---the-big-round-zipper-part-1---go-with-all-your-heart-border-kit-p6989.aspx

I hope this is of some help xx