Thursday, January 30, 2014

Exchanges with Chiara

Chiara (over at the grey tail) and I decided to have an exchange, and this was the one rule: one item had to be cross-stitched and one had to be made using any other technique.

So, first, the cross-stitching: This is a freebie from the Kreinik website. I stitched it up on beige 14-count Aida using DMC 4240, which I think is very dramatic. I finished it off as a pincushion with black backing fabric, and attached a tiny silver "made with love" charm to the corner. It's not exactly cross-stitching, I know, but I love how it turned out!


Second, the "something else": Chiara loves the organic, the natural, the sustainable. I picked up a pair of TOMS shoes some time ago, and with every pair they give you a TOMS flag, which I've never found a use for. Now I have! I turned it into a completely hand-sewn, zippered pouch. (If you've never heard of TOMS shoes, learn about them here - it's a great initiative!)


I included Athena's Needle's "Mughal Elephant Stitching Accessories" chart, a couple of buttons for the biscornu in the chart, some Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe threads, and lavender-scented soap made from camel's milk. Here's Chiara's picture of the whole package:


In return, Chiara has completely spoiled me:


She made me a Broderie Suisse piece (the little scissor fob with the beautiful white stitching - the other side of it has multicolored stitching) and a beautiful pin pillow with stitching-themed buttons.
 Then she included the kit for The Snowflower Diaries' "Under the Pear Tree" (she emailed me the PDF file earlier, which I still need to print out), and a signed (!!!!) chart from Nikyscreations.

There was also a Nikyscreations pumpkin pin pillow, a pair of DMC scissors, some adorable buttons, a pre-finished heart for cross-stitching, a tin of tea leaves, and a bag of sweets. I love it all soooooo much, and can't wait to play around with all these goodies!

Thanks again, Chiara! :D




PS This is your last chance to enter my second-year blogoversary giveaway! Drawing will be on Sunday, the 2nd of February. If you haven't entered yet, you can do so here.

9 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

What a sweet exchange! The goodies both made & received are great & unusual :) Have a lovely day!

Anne said...

Very sweet exchange between to sweet and lovely ladies :D I love that you made a little sewing bag out of TOMS material!! I have yet to buy the shoes but almost all of my friends have had a pair or two. Enjoy all your goodies!

Linda said...

Lovely exchange gifts Sarah.

Linda

lisa said...

Dear Sarah...just found your blog! Fabulous exchange!!! Can I be part of your giveaway? Lisa K at scneth@verizon .net. Thanks!

Emma/Itzy said...

Lovely exchange! I love the idea of the bag with the Toms flag!

Shirlee said...

Testing, testing ... 1-2-3. Please let me know if I'm still coming up as no-reply. Thank you : )

Kerryp77 said...

lovely exchange and thank you for the link too, I've saved it a i love speciality stitches.

Steph said...

Gorgeous exchange goodies! XOX

thegreytail said...

oh, you spoiled me as well. I cannot wait to stitch those adorable elephants (how did you guess I would LOVE that chart?!) and the TOMS bag you made is exquisitely finished.
I use it all the time when I take the floss ring for my current WIP somewhere.
thank you so so much, Sarah!
chiara