Monday, October 28, 2013

The Finish of the Year!

A quick stop at my LNS after work yesterday, a half hour spent putting the last few stitches in, and it's done! The American Flag Quilt is officially finished! Excuse me while I do my little happy dance...


This has taken me a little more than a year to finish - I started it September of last year (you can see my start here). I think that's pretty good! This is the biggest single piece I've ever done, and it's smaller than it's supposed to be (due to my epic fabric miscalculation)! It's roughly 21 by 12.5 inches, stitched on 28 count Bone Jazlyn.


If you're thinking about stitching this baby up, you're going to love it! The recommended threads are DMC (though there are Anchor alternatives), which makes it incredibly affordable and easily to restock if you run out of colors (as I have many, many times). Be aware that there is A LOT of backstitching - which I actually enjoy doing, but I know a lot of people don't. The backstitching brings all the little quilt squares to life, though, so it's a big part of the piece.


I loved stitching on this so much. I can't wait to get it framed and hung up somewhere - it's going to look fantastic.

Thanks for following our journey!



17 comments:

Jan Gartlan said...

Well done Sarah! It will be so pretty viewed up close with the variety of stitches but it will also be pretty from a distance seeing it as the US flag.

Ariadne Skyrianidou said...

Congratulations! I thought you were going to continue covering the in-between spaces in blue,then I realised it was a flag!AriadnefromGreece!

Mii Stitch said...

WELL DONE!!! It looks fantastic :)

cucki said...

It is truly so beautiful dear..
Well done..
Big hugs ^_^

Melissa said...

That is one EPIC finish Sarah! Congrats :)

Can I dance a little for you lol.

Melissa

Terri said...

It is beautiful! Congrats on the finish!

Emma/Itzy said...

Wahooo!!!!!! *does little dance*

Well done! You know how much I have enjoyed watching you stitch this up, it looks incredible! I'm going to miss seeing the updates now :) hehe

So, whats next?! :D x

Emma Louise Brown said...

It looks fantastic!

Linda said...

Congrats on the gorgeous finish Sarah. Looking forward to seeing it framed.

Linda

Katy said...

It looks wonderful!! Well done!!

Shirlee said...

Congratulations!

thegreytail said...

wow, Sarah! great job! I'm so happy for you!
I love all your changes, those stripes look so good!!
I'll get mine at some point, it's such a wonderful piece (and I like the backstitching too)
what are picking up now?
lots of hugs,
chiara

Lija Broka said...

It looks gorgeous, well done on the finish. Can't wait to see it framed!

Grit said...

Your finish is absolutely wonderful. Looks so lovely with all the little different patterns.
Greetings grit

Steph said...

Yay ^_^ BIG happy hugs for you. This has been a joy to see grow and it looks amazing.
love n hugs
XIX

Marguerite said...

wauw this is beautifull.
Groetjes Marguerite

Lulu said...

I'm very late but congratulations on this finish! I have really enjoyed watching it grow and this design is now on my wishlist because of you.