Sunday, September 8, 2013

Now That I've Recovered...

I've had a crazy couple of days. The craft fair was all day Friday, and yesterday was the last day my in-laws were visiting, so my husband wanted to make his famous steaks for lunch. This is always chaos, because my husband's philosophy of cooking is just to throw a bunch of things in the pan and see how it tastes. This goes against every fiber of my being - I'm very much a go-by-the-recipe cook.

And then of course we had to take them to the airport late at night. It's sad to see them go, knowing that life has to go back to normal now. It's always so much fun to have visitors, isn't it? Even with the little inconveniences and the running around being a tourist in my own city. It's so quiet without them now!

Anyway, I've been meaning to give a report on how the craft fair went. One word: miserable!

My table

The last time I did this craft fair I didn't exactly clear my table, but I sold about half of my things. This time? Three items. Honest to God. I sat there all day, from 12 noon to 9 pm, and I only sold three things. I don't know what it is about this craft fair, but there seemed to be more interest in the hand-made jewelry than in needlework.

My mother-in-law's knitted socks

I don't think I'm going to be doing this again, to be honest. There's an annual Christmas bazaar back home in Kuwait, and I've already made a deal with my mother that I'll send her my pieces for her to sell for me. There's a huge expat community from the West there (as opposed to here, where the majority are expats from the East), so I might do better there.

All my recent additions
Oh, well. Nothing ventured, right?



11 comments:

ariadne said...

I have come to realise too that what mainly interests buyers is jewelry. As I don't wear much jewlery I don't like making many pieces either so I haven't put any in my shop.I have put my decorative stones but it seems no one is interested in buying them.AriadnefromGreece!

meggie said...

Hi Sarah
Sorry to hear the craft fair wasn't successful and I hope you sell everything you send to your mum!

Linda said...

Sorry to hear you didn't do well Sarah. I did a craft fair 3 times in one year a few years ago and sold nothing at one of them and about broke even on the other two.

Linda

cucki said...

Oh dear..sending you hugs x

Shirlee said...

I'm so sorry that the craft fair was such a disappointment Sarah. I'm sure you will have better luck sending your things to your mother for the craft fair in Kuwait. It looks like you had some lovely things! By the way, I'm a "follow the recipe book" kind of gal too : )

Mii Stitch said...

Oh no!!! I though of you! :) This is so surprising because last time you did well. Your table looked really nice & full of lovely items. I hope you'll do better at the other one :)

Bev C said...

Hello Sarah,

Your craft table looks so lovely and enticing. The people obviously didn't have their glasses on!
Hope you Mum has better luck selling your goodies.

Happy days.
Bev.

Penny said...

That's a shame about the craft fair. It looks like you had a lot of lovely things to offer!

Steph said...

I am sorry the fair did not go so well. *hugs* Sometimes fairs are like this. It's just the way things go. Don't give up! You make beautiful things.
lots of love
XOX

Kaisievic said...

Oh dear, as you say it must be the clientele as your stitchy items are gorgeous. Have you thought about having an Etsy shop?
hugs, Kaye

Lija Broka said...

That is beautiful! Your presentation is definitely a lot better than mine was. They are very silly not to have bought anything. Hopefully Christmas bazaar will go a lot better!