Sunday, July 14, 2013

Quilt Square 46

Well, after a long time away from it, I've finally picked the American Flag Quilt back up. I can't believe it's been more than a month since I've stitched on this!


This newest square is Wyoming, the Equality State. This is the 44th state, admitted into the union on July 10, 1890. Wow, that means I've only got six states left!


I certainly have missed stitching on this piece and watching it grow. The fabric is, I think, officially my favorite ever. It's just so soft and a delight to stitch on!


Last Wednesday was the start of Ramadan. That's our holy month, kind of like Lent, I suppose, except that we fast completely from sun-up until sun-down. No food, no drinks, no foul language, no inappropriate activities. I can't even kiss my own husband all day!

But definitely the hardest part is the heat. Ramadan changes from year to year, gradually moving up the calendar ten days a year. This year, it happened to land on the absolute hottest part of the summer. Temperatures have been in the high 40s, nudging the back end of 50 degrees. It's been unbelievable. This is supposed to be a holy month filled with prayer and introspection, to really feel the plight of our fellow man in his hunger and poverty, but it's hard to focus when you just want a drink of water.

Anyway. On to some stitching distraction: I've signed up for Mii's Summer Holiday Exchange. If you haven't yet, do head on over there and join in! I think she's closing it on the 15th, tomorrow, so you still have a little time. It's so much fun!

Huge hugs,

9 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

An other lovely flag Sarah!!
All the best with the Ramadan. I really couldn't spend my day without even water with such heat!! :D You're being very brave :)

Shirlee said...

What a lovely project your flag quilt will be when it's done! A true heirloom : ) Best wishes for Ramadan.

cucki said...

It's looking so lovely... Happy Ramadan dear xxx

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

that sounds hot, even for me - hope you at least have airconditioning - maybe you should focus on some winter stitching as a way of distraction from the heat : >

meggie said...

Lovely stitching, this project is really great.
I hope you can cope with the heat.

Linda said...

Another great state Sarah and your almost done.

Linda

Isabella Morais said...

the most difficult thing for me is passing an entire day with no water, specially on a hot day, oh my, I can't imagine this!

Your stitching is getting gorgeous!

I've already joined the swap, can't wait to find out whos my partner.

:D

thegreytail said...

oh Sarah! your American Flag Quilt is so lovely, every time I see it I get a further push to get my own!!
as for Ramadan, do spend all your night gulping down liters of water. it can be quite risky to spend an entire summer month like that.. I guess that's why those idle Catholics made sure Lents would never happen in any other season. ;)
take good care of yourself and happy xxx!
chiara

Denise said...

I know that I have commented on America flag before and It is still one of my favorite so I went and ordered it and I plan to start it this fall.
Happy Stitching
Denise