Sunday, June 23, 2013

Some Kitchen Chicken Stuff

I'm back! Whew, that was a busy trip. I'm so glad I went, though. It was so good to see my family and catch up on everything. And it's also good to be back - I missed my husband!

A few months ago I bought a couple of charts from the Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe (I talked about it here). I thought these would be perfect for my mother, who is Southern and a big fan of coffee and chickens. The chicken thing started when we were little and kept confusing "kitchen" with "chicken". As a result, my mother's kitchen decor is almost entirely chickens. I'm just encouraging this theme with these:


They're for her birthday, which isn't until July, but since I was in Kuwait I gave them to her early. She loved them! After much debate, she decided to prop them up on her kitchen counters.

She liked the fabric too, and said they look almost like burlap. I stitched the two on 28-count Wichelt-Permin linen in Blush, which I personally hated. It is so stiff and painful to work on.


And please ignore the fabric in the background. It's our bedspread - the bed is the closest thing to the window, so it gets the best light!

Yay for another successful, hand-made birthday present!

All my love,

11 comments:

meggie said...

Hello Sarah

What lovely finishes, can see why your Mum loves them.

Have a good weekend (:

Mii Stitch said...

Yay you're back! Glad you had a lovely trip. These chicken stitches look really nice, no wonder your mum liked them! Well done x

Kaisievic said...

So glad that you had a nice time with your family. Love your new stitched pieces. Gorgeous!

Lulu said...

What beautiful stitched gifts!

Nancy said...

Beautiful stitching and I LOVE the framed pieces! Great idea...I may have to do that myself!

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

Fabulous finishes - you can wash linen if you find it too stiff, soften it up a bit - I personally love the stiff feel, it reminds that the linen is fresh, but then i'm a little odd, lol - Amanda

Linda said...

Congrats on the cute finishes Sarah. What great designs.

Linda

cucki said...

Super sweet finishes xxx

Jan Gartlan said...

Such a lovely and personal gift.

Steph said...

These are brilliant! And I am really happy that you had a nice time ^_^
xox

ariadne said...

Glad to see you back ...before I leave for the summer holidays!AriadnefromGreece!