Saturday, May 4, 2013

So Yesterday was the Craft Fair...

...and it was fantastic! I did so much better than I thought I would. I managed to get some pictures once we'd finished setting up:


I was sharing a table with my mother-in-law, who makes the cutest knitted socks for adults and newborns. She was a little disappointed with how she did - I guess we shouldn't have expected to sell thick socks in May in a desert country. Oh well!


I loved the experience, even though it was exhausting: we were there from 10:30 am to 9:00 pm. It takes so much energy to constantly strike up conversations with potential customers and try to get them to buy your wares.



Here's a couple tips for anyone about to sell at their own craft fairs: biscornus do really well, and people are more likely to buy small pieces than they are big ones. I didn't sell any of my big(ish) framed pieces, just little hangings and pouches and biscornus.


I had a blast, I really did. I'll probably do it again in another six months - so pretty soon I'm going to have to get crackin' and start making more pieces!

Tired but happy,

10 comments:

cucki said...

Everything is looking so beautiful..your mother in laws stuff is so sweet too..
Your stall is looking so pretty ..
Sending you big hugs xx

Mii Stitch said...

Ooooh! I did think of you on Friday :D Your stall looks very very impressive & professional! Your mother in law items looked ever so cute (expecially the little rabbits!). Thank you for sharing these pictures & experience!!! I guess I better get stitching a few biscornus!!! :D I heard somewhere on an other blog that small items were selling more easily than the bigger one, that's a shame really because there is a lot of hard work & long hours involved in these projects. Have a well deserved rest xx

Linda said...

Your table looks great Sarah. Congrats on the sales.

Linda

Kerryp77 said...

The table looks fab Sarah, congrats on the sales too. The first one is always the hardest. x

Lulu said...

Your display looks very well done and I'm glad you had such a positive experience! What items are you planning on for next time?

Kaisievic said...

The stall looks good and it sounds like it was a great experience for your first time. I suppose it will mean you will be stitching more smalls for next time? Well done to both of you.

Steph said...

The stall looks so lovely! I am glad you did well and it was a good day.
XOX

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

your store looks very pretty, i am happy for you that you did well - sorry i had to have a little giggle that your MIL was trying to sell knitwear in a desert environment ;D

Anne said...

That's amazing Sarah! Well done on selling some of your beautiful crafts! I think biscornus would be a hot sell too since they look so unique and are small!!

Lija Broka said...

Well done! The table looks great. I have myself back in April done a craft fair. Took a camera but forgot to photograph. None of the big items sold. I made little baby shoes and only one pair sold. My sister's little bunnies were popular.
http://allaboutthehandmade.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-handmade-bunny-project.html
Although again she had smaller and bigger ones, and only smaller ones were bought (probably as cheaper). But the little kids loved them (which annoyed the parents who had to pay). Then I sold some of mum's creations makeup bag and a hanging heart.
Lets say £6 (my share that is, the rest of the family done a little better and hence were the ones to pay the table fee) profit for an entire day of sitting was a little disappointing but I hope to do better next time. Will maybe brave a biscornu or 2. Where do you find your beautiful patterns? I love the one you sent me and the one you have as part of your blog banner. The ones I find in magazines are very simple and uninteresting. Good luck for next time.