Saturday, November 17, 2012

Quilt Square 15



Still can’t put the American Flag Quilt down!


No state today, just a star filler to even out the 13 first states. It’s still really pretty! I never know until I stitch what the colors are going to look like together, and I love that element of surprise.

Speaking of surprise. I finished the “stars” section of the flag, put it down and looked at it, and I realized there was something wrong with the proportions of the fabric. I think something went wrong when I was calculating the size of the fabric before I placed this order back in August. My own fault – I’m not great at numbers – and I must have done the calculations for a smaller stitch count, and when I decided to go with the 28 ct. Bone Jazlyn I guess I didn’t re-calculate.

The point of this little story is that I am now a quarter of the way through a sampler that won’t fit on my fabric. I’m not willing to abandon it at this point and start over, so I’m just going to have to adjust. It’s not going to look exactly like it’s supposed to, but I’m going to do my best to squeeze it all in! I’m not too worried, I think I’ve got a good plan to do it.

Anyway, I’m going to put this piece down for a bit and get some perspective.

See you on the other side!

5 comments:

Lulu said...

It is so beautiful! That's a bummer on the size miscalculation. I have done that before but usually no one can tell but you or you end up with something more original.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

oh dear - i hope it all works out for you - its looking fantastic : )

Mii Stitch said...

Oh noooo! After all the lovely hard work!! I'm sure you're going to sort it out. Have a lovely day, Mii x

Kathy Ellen said...

Every flag is just so intricately and beautifully stitched, Sarah. How unfortunate that you have discovered that your linen is a bit short! You are very clever to think of a good way to fit it all together. I will be looking forward to seeing you progress.

Blessings!

Kerryp77 said...

I did that once with a picture of Elvis I stitched for my mum, I couldn't alter the design so I only had 1/2" to on each side to frame him! I'm glad you've thought of a solution as it's such a beautiful design and you are stitching it so well. xx