Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Great Loss



I woke up yesterday, stitched a little, finished up some chores around the house, had some thoughts about what to make the DH and I for dinner, and then I got some really awful news. My grandfather passed away a couple of nights ago.


This is Ernest Carlton Mizelle, my mother’s father. He’d been suffering for more than a couple of years from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). It’s an incurable degenerative lung disease, and so it had been getting worse and worse and worse. Luckily I’d gotten a chance to see him over the summer – remember how I almost didn’t go?

That's me on the left, and my sister on the right

My Grandaddy was a big hulking Southern man. He liked pickled watermelon rinds and fresh peanuts. His favorite milkshake was peach, and his favorite cartoon was Scooby-Doo. He drove an eighteen-wheeler delivery truck all across the country until he retired, and his favorite city was Las Vegas.

I’m going to miss him so much.
 

8 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

So sorry to hear about your grandad. He sounded like such a lovely man but sounds like you have great memories of him. Treasure them ☺ Mii, x

Terri said...

So sorry for your loss!!

Hugs and prayers!!

Topcho said...

So sorry to hear about your loss!

tadamama said...

I am so sorry for your loss

Angela Cruz-garcia said...

I am terribly sorry for your loss. I lost my great grandfather a couple of years ago and I know how hard it is. Spend time with your family and keep stitching. You will be able to come thru the other side intact. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Kerryp77 said...

Such sad news Sarah. posted your parcel yesterday so hopefully that will make you smile a little. xx

September said...

Hello Sarah

I just found your blog.
So sorry to hear about your Grandaddy, he sounds like a lovely man.
Sending you {{{hugs}}}

Anne said...

So sorry to hear your darling granddaddy passed away. So glad you got to see him this summer. Big hugs to you my dear.