Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Very First Cross-Stitching


I think it’s about time I showed off my very first cross-stitch sampler.


My mother got this kit from someone overseas when I was in high school. She doesn’t cross-stitch, so she asked my sisters and I if we’d be interested in trying. I thought I’d give it a shot, and it took me maybe 1 ½ - 2 years later to finish it.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I figured out how to do the stitching easily enough from the chart, and thankfully the kit included all the threads I’d need. But I started it really close to the edge of the fabric (which is why it’s slightly off-kilter in the frame – they had a hard time framing it). I also ran out of a lot of the thread too quickly and had to compromise a lot.

The sampler is a verse from the Quran, and it’s in Arabic. It reads, “Say, ‘He is the only God, the absolute God. He did not beget, nor was He begotten. There is none like Him.” Simple, but poignant.

This lives back home somewhere. It’s a clumsy first attempt, but I don’t think it’s too shabby, considering. I’m actually a little shocked that I took on such a big, complicated sampler to start with, but I guess I didn’t know any better.

To cross-stitching!

1 comment:

Nurdan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.